[Ford-ferguson] Static timing a TO35

David Hoelzeman mathman at cswnet.com
Thu Dec 4 08:59:35 PST 2008

Unless I'm missing what you mean by static timing I've had success with
the following:

1) Set crank so timing marks are lined up for the correct setting.

2) Verify if #1 is on compression stroke or exhaust.

3) Loosen distributor and rotate housing until the points are just about
to open.  Tighten distributor.

4) Install rotor and note which cap tower it points to.

5) If #1 is on compression stroke attach #1 plug wire to the tower noted
in (4).  If #1 is on exhaust stroke attach #4 plug wire.  Attach rest of
wires per firing order.

Every time I've used this I've either been spot on or a degree or two
off the mark.  But that's been on my trucks, haven't had to do this on
my TO-20 yet (don't have a TO-35) so am unaware if there are any
variances that have to be dealt with.

David
'51 TO-20