[AT] Thanksgiving Day/ now coyotes

Bob McNitt nysports at frontiernet.net
Wed Dec 3 06:15:31 PST 2008

Just had to chine in with a observation about coyotes. I've hunted them here
in upstate NY for decades (using predator calls) and have noticed ours
resemble gray wolves more than they do the Western 'yotes.

I've also hunted gray wolves in Eastern Canada, and that helped me note how
much our Northeast 'yotes resembled the true wolves. Well, DNA testing now
shows that what we refer to as "Eastern Coyotes" are actually hybrids
containing both coyote & gray wolf genes, the result of crossbreeding in
Eastern Canada, where the two species' ranges overlap.

Since the hybrid offspring aren't accepted by the wolf packs, as more were
born, they formed their own groups (wolf pack instincts) and each subsequent
generation purified itself, evolving into the large wolf-like animal we have
now in the Northeast and New England.

They even exhibit the color phases of wolves, with traditional gray-brown,
red, black, and blond specimens. And in winter, they'll hunt in family
packs. Ironic how Nature fills a vacuum ... as deer and prey numbers soared,
lacking a major predator other than man, a new subspecies of predator
surfaces, one that can adapt to our changing manmade environment far better
than the wolf, mountain lion, etc.

And yes, they eat deer, pets and most anything else they can catch/find.