[AT] Thanksgiving Day tractor chores+trees

Phil M. Vorwerk pvorwerk at newulmtel.net
Tue Dec 2 07:31:49 PST 2008

We have plenty of coyotes in the Minnesota River valley in southern
Minnesota.  Yes, it is chilling to hear the coyotes some nights, and I try
not to let my two Labs out for very long when I hear them in the area.  The
main trouble with them around here is they are almost 100% carriers of heart
worm.  My black lab came up with heart worm in the fall of 2007 (my fault, I
accidentally let the Heartguard lapse).  The vet said that there is a very
high incidence of canine heartworm in Courtland (MN) because of the coyote
population - every coyote carcass that they have tested has tested positive
for heartworm.  Not a problem for the coyotes, they usually die from a host
of other causes before the heartworm has a chance to get them.

It seems that the river valley ends up being a conduit to the northern,
"more wild" part of the state.  I have seen wildlife in my backyard that is
not supposed to be in our area.

Phil
Wintery Courtland, MN