[AT] Loose oil filter mount Oliver S55

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 11:50:37 PDT 2008

Alan, what type of threads are on your oil filter?  My Oliver 70 has mason jar threads on the spin-on oil filter.  The Super 55 might also have these theads.  I forget which has the female threads bu perhaps you could alter the filter threads by expanding or shrinking them a bit for a tighter fit.  I would avoid teflon tape in this application.  Inevitably, some of the tape will tear off and get into the system.  The tape could clog a passage or get caught under the seat if the relief valve causing low oil pressure.  > > 1. Loose oil filter mount Oliver S55 (Nagel, Alan F)>> Message: 1> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:15:22 -0500> From: "Nagel, Alan F" <alan-nagel at uiowa.edu>> Subject: [AT] Loose oil filter mount Oliver S55> To: "at at lists.antique-tractor.com" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>> Message-ID:> <396084C9D8347C4997B026664FB5E6F8178F635BEA at IOWAEVS07.iowa.uiowa.edu>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"> > Blew the oil filter clear off my Oliver Super 55 yesterday. The White/Agco has been the only filter to fit securely for some time, and it's been a near thing at each oil change: tightening well risks popping it out of the threads, so it's watch it leak, tighten slightly, and pray.> > Question: anyone have such experience? Do I go ahead and replace the mounting bracket (if available)? or is there another strategy?> > I've no idea why the filter came off yesterday: had been on for some a half-dozen to a dozen hours or more; it happened after an hour's mowing, engine lugging down just fine under load.> > You can tell about how mechanical I am =/< 0.05% ....> > Alan Nagel> Iowa City