[AT] Tired??

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Aug 27 18:31:51 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Waugh" <pwaugh at embarqmail.com>
To: "Tractor" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:13 PM
Subject: [AT] Tired??

>I guess Portland wore every one out, or they are enjoying the weather,
>hummm I guess some are cleaning up from weather also.
>
> I just made a run up to Minot, ND.  I found the wheat harvest to be
> interesting. I had seen some big combine, but now I have seen some BIG
> combines.  I saw two pull type combines, which were fairly new (2-3 yr
> old). I did not know JD was making pull type because I had not seen one in
> years.  I saw at least two varieties of wheat, but have no idea of the
> difference (some very light, some very dark, next to each other in
> different fields). I got very tired of seeing round bales of hay along the
> road, it makes sense to bale the roadsides, but dang it gets old seeing
> it.  I never realized ND had so many 'ponds', not as many as MN, but quite
> a few.

Not that much different from Sask. they tell me. We see the odd field of
sunflowers here too.
But JD pull types are pretty scarce. Last ones built that I know of were the
maximizer series. A 9501 if memory serves me, the pull type version of the
self propelled 9500. As far as I know now they have been out of production
for a few years. Biggest reason I would guess is that with a pull type you
are limited in how big a straight cut header can be installed. A combine
that size in cereal grains could easily handle 30 feet of header. Not
feasible on a pull type machine. And straight cutting is the way most want
to go now as it saves the operation of swathing the crop.

Ralph in Sask.