[AT] Hey Ralph, you can open the gate for a while...

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Aug 24 22:33:22 PDT 2008

Farmer, talk about extremes. The past two evenings I have come close to
hypothermia riding the open swather cutting canola. Friday was heavy
overcast with strong north winds and temp about 50. Knees were so stiff from
the cold when I crawled off the swather that it was hard to walk. And I was
wearing insulated coveralls. A few days earlier I was complaining about the
heat as it hit close to 90 degrees under the umbrella of the swather.
Riding open farm machinery used to be the norm around here years ago but
nowadays we mostly sit in climate controlled comfort whatever the weather.
Spending a few days out on the open IH puts me back in touch with the early
days reminding me of how far we have come in improved working conditions.
I guess that cool weather has already hit you by the sound of it. Down to 90
eh?

Ralph in Sask.