[AT] 1949 Case VAC is home.

George Willer gwill at gwill.net
Wed Aug 20 07:22:14 PDT 2008

Steve,

As you know, most Briggs engines will do a good day's work running much
slower than rated maximum.  I have one slightly modified to run at very slow
RPM, I'll guess less than 100 RPM.  More on that later.  Many engines had
6:1 gear reductions built in such as one I used for years on my mortar
mixer.  I imagine what Charlie is talking about is a conversion to make the
ground speed very low for a special purpose.

Our departed ATIS friend, Bob Learned's Briggs page is still available 10
years after his death at a permanent location:
http://www.asecc.com/data/briggs/   It's a wealth of information on the many
Briggs engine variations built over the years.

The slow engine referenced above is on a two seated butt buggy that's been
to Portland a few times.  It's just a rear engine mower with a very heavy
flywheel replacing the mower pulley and larger drive pulley on the vertical
shaft.  The slow put-put of the Briggs engine turns heads.  With its 3 speed
transmission it will easily out-run most golf carts.  The most fun is barely
moving along in 3rd gear.  It has a very unusual sound.

George