[AT] Ford 4000; coupla questions

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Aug 19 19:50:55 PDT 2008

Lew I can't help you with the lift arms.  I know what you are talking about
but not why they would be welded.  As far as the wheels go they are power
adjust wheels and that is an Allis Chalmers patent. (just for information).
There should be one rail that has holes in it.  There should be a lock or
maybe two on that rail that bolts through the holes.  Remove that one.  The
other rails have cam lock where the wheel center mounts to the rail.  Losen
the cam lock all the way.  Then you just get on the tractor, hold the brake
and let the engine do the work.  Do it one wheel at a time.  Loosen one
side, hold the brake on the other and put the tractor in forward or reverse
depending on which side it is and it will ease into position (or slam out of
position if you try to do it with too much speed and throttle).  It's pretty
easy if the cam locks aren't rusted tight.  If they are you'll need to soak
them in penetrating oil, maybe beat on them a bit or possibly heat them with
a torch to get the rust loose.

Charlie