[AT] Don't scratch the paint!

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Aug 16 20:41:53 PDT 2008

we would unload silage wagons in much the same way.  We would lay Hog
wire with one end fastened to a pipe which rode on top of the sidepaords
at the front.  The wire was then covered with chicken wire to hold the
silage on top of the hog wire.  The wire was long enough that it would
go from the top of the sideboards down to the floor and then to the rear
of the trailer where it was turned up and held with a rope between the
sideboards to hold the wire up to make an endgate.  When we got to the
silo with a loaded wagon, untie the rope, hook a long cable to the
bridle chain attached to the post at the front and pull off an entire 16
ft wagon load of silage in about 30 seconds.  A kid on each end would
pull the pipe and wire back into the wagon and tie up the rear end and
"fly" back to the field to get another trailer.  We had 3 trailers
running between the silage cutter and the silo.  One time we had 5 miles
between the field and the silo.  We got 2 more trailers and a truck and
used a pickup to pull the trailers.  When all the kids went away to
college and got jobs, we quit putting up silage....

Cecil in OKla