[AT] Selling tractors abroad

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Mon Aug 11 10:03:51 PDT 2008

As long as you get paid you should be OK.  PayPal is OK for smaller amounts,
if the deal is very large a bank transfer is more cost-effective in terms of
the fees.  I sold a pretty expensive collectible radio to a buyer in Spain a
while back and was surprised when I got an envelope with US cash in it.  As
Will just said, paper documents (money orders, bank checks) can be
counterfeit so if you get these then seek advice from your bank about how
long to wait to make sure they are good.

For me freight shipping has always been arranged by the buyer, so I'm not
fluent with those details.  One time a container was placed in my front yard
and I stuffed it with 4 tractors and some parts, spent most of a day loading
it and tying things down.  More recently I sent an 800# engine to Australia,
I built a crate for that and my local implement dealer helped me out by
providing a place for it to be picked up.  The 4 tractors in the container
got held up for a couple of days whilst a clerk at the railroad office in
Minneapolis refused the container because it had vehicles without titles in
it.

So my international deals have all been good, excepting that I seem to spend
a LOT more time working it out than I figured on.  But I just considered
that part of the education process.  And in each case I got to converse with
interesting people from other parts of the world, that was neat.

B²

Bill Brueck
   Chatfield, Minnesota, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.