[AT] Oliver 55 - Super 55 vs 8N vs VAO

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Aug 30 02:59:43 PDT 2008

When my dad closed his service station and started back to farming in 1959
he bought a new D-10 Allis.  We shared work and equipment with my uncle who
farmed with a Farmall 140 and a MF 35.  Our D-10 was brand new.  I'm not
sure of the age of his MF 35 but it was just like new and didn't even have a
scratch on it and I think his 140 came along the year after our D-10.  I had
a chance to run all of them a good bit.  They all had their good points.
You couldn't beat the 140 for one row cultivating of tobacco, beyond that it
had it's limitations.  The D-10 would out pull it and out work it with 2 x
14 bottom plow.  The MF 35 was no good for one row plowing of tobacco or
corn because it was too low to the ground.  However, put the two row
cultivators on the 3pt behind the 35 in a soybean field and there was no
need to even start the Allis or the Farmall up.  It was also much faster
with the bottom plows.  It had more gear selections and in many respects was
more usable than the Farmall or the Allis.  I'm partial to the Allis
tractors because that is what we had but the Ferguson tractors are about as
"smart", as the guys around here would say, as they come.  To me, as a boy,
driving the MF 35 was like driving a sports car.

If you grew up driving a MF 30, 35, 135, 145, 235, etc. and someone
blindfolded you today and put you on an 80's model 40 to 60 HP JD, AC, IH,
Oliver, Ford or Case you could probably drive it away without taking off the
blindfold.  The operator controls are all pretty much the same and in
similar locations.  To me Massey Furgeson set the standard for modern
utility tractors.  The Ford and Fordson tractors had their place but  to me
they were just knockoffs of a Massey Furgeson.

Oh by the way, the spin out wheels that they all us are an Allis Chalmers
patent.

Charlie