[AT] Oliver S55 oil filter and history

Louis Spiegelberg louis at kellnet.com
Fri Aug 29 14:29:11 PDT 2008

NAPA Gold line filters are Wix filters.

Lou

-----Original Message-----
From: at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
[mailto:at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com] On Behalf Of Nagel, Alan F
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 5:07 PM
To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com
Subject: Re: [AT] Oliver S55 oil filter and history

Thanks Andy Glines and Landon Schooler.  I agree with Andy, don't want to
play with teflon tape; and will try to find the Wix filter.

But perhaps I mis-stated or unclearly stated the problem: the fit of the
White/Agco filter into the mason-jar threads is better than others I've
tried to date (Fram just blows right off no matter what upon starting the
engine after mounting filter, and the White/Agco will if tightened too much
pop off in my hand or the filter wrench, overriding the threads).

So unless I can find the Wix much better, and no one has experienced the
problem and found a better solution, it sounds like time to look for a new
mount (or try scavenging a good one from the wrecking lots?).

FYI on history of Oliver models.   Edchainsaw has got it right.  See
Spencer's Antique Tractor Bible p. 28 (photo is my S55), and the detailed
Oliver Farm Tractors by T. Herbert Morrell (Oliver's Charles City plant
design engineer 1944ff. and chief engineer as of 1951) and Jeff Hackett:
Spencer mentions a 55, but his photo p. 9 looks more like an S55; Morrell
and Hackett note the Fleetline 66, 77, 88 and the development of the Super
55 pp. 85ff. to compete with the 8N (and the Jubilee) by adding draft
control and independent pto, with a helical gear set and the four-cyl. Super
66 engine.

Farmer: the Super series replaced the Fleetlines with Super 66, Super 77,
Super 88 (1954-58 as John Boehm rightly observes.  Not quite the false
advertising you sniffed out (but there's no shortage in the air...).

Alan