[AT] Tractor hauler question.

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Aug 26 11:17:36 PDT 2008

charlie hill wrote:
> Yep and that's probably about when I'll fix it, end of Nov. when I need a
> new inspection sticker.  Actually I don't like having the check engine light
> on and I don't like having a problem with the truck.  I just don't feel like
> throwing parts at it until the problem goes away.
>
> Charlie

I can tell you how to get through the inspection without repairing the
EVAP problem. IF you get close to inspection and haven't repaired it yet.

First run the scan and see what the code is. Post it and I'll see what I
have in the idea bank on that rig.

Now clear the code. This also resets the IM data (which is what NY
actually looks at as well as the light being on) In NY you are allowed
to have a certain number of monitors that have not run. the EVAP is one
of the ones that can be in "Not Ready" state and it will still pass.

The EVAP tests for most of the EVAP codes will not run IF the fuel level
is above 3/4 or below 1/4. The other monitors will run regardless. So if
you keep the fuel level in those areas the code shouldn't set. And NO light.

Of course the preferred method is to repair the leak. That can be REAL
fun on some vehicles, thankfully GMs are usually not real bad.
If the scanner you have allows you to cycle the purge solenoids it gets
much easier. (Easiest way is with a smoke machine, BUT those are big money)

--
Steve W.