[AJD] Carb for 1951 A

Bill Salisbury salisburyw at comcast.net
Sun Aug 24 12:04:27 PDT 2008

HI Eileen,

What ever carb your friend with the JD A ends up with, be sure that he or
she preserves any of the original cast iron body carbs.  The new
replacements which are a cast aluminum body and "one size fits all" are
really not worth much.  They don't generally work right.

Most of the old cast iron carbs have been abused and neglected, but in most
cases can be repaired.  Probably the worst parts to go wrong are the
throttle shaft bore and the brass jet holder.  I have a 1956 420 (I see that
you have one too!)  and it took me three attempts of overhauling in my shop
to get it right.  It is now right.  What I had to do was to bore out the
original throttle shaft bore and install bronze bushings and then align hone
those to get a perfect throttle shaft fit using a new throttle shaft.
Without a good fit there, it will leak air and spoil a good idle.

The brass jet holder gets broken because the fiber washer leaks and in an
effort to stop the leak, someone tightens the needle valve holder another
quarter turn at least and breaks the holder in half.  Yes, you can buy a new
one from John Deere for $88 the last time I checked.  I made a new one in my
shop instead and it looks and works just like the original.

Good luck!  Bill
420 Standard with wide front end