[AT] Case 580 CK brakes

Francis Robinson robinson46176 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 24 11:13:24 PDT 2008

> From: gwill at gwill.net

> Charlie and all,
>
> I've not had good luck with installing the sleeves and have decided that
> sometimes there are better ways to deal with the shaft wear problem.  If the
> shaft can't be polished and the seal relocated, it's usually possible to
> shorten the spring in the seal to increase its tension and make the seal
> lips effective on a slightly smaller diameter.  The two ends of the spring
> are merely screwed together so they're easy to modify.

     What I do about a groove in a sealing surface correlates directly to how much time and work it takes to get back into it.   :-)   If it is a major chore it better "all" be dang near perfect. If it is something sticking out where a few cap screws will get me into it I can be pretty flexible...
It is pretty easy sometimes to press or drive a seal in place (with a good sealer around the outside) and just leave it out maybe 3/16" (depending on a number of factors) so the seal is up on "good ground". You just have to be certain that it is 1. well sealed around the outside, and 2. not sitting cocked in the opening.
As long as the groove is not real deep much of the time just a new seal will still work because it started leaking because "both" the shaft and the seal are worn. The seal usually wears down more than the shaft and the seal often has gotten hard and maybe lost its ability to seal more because of that than from wear. In a huge number of those cases a new soft seal will take care of the problem. Except for stuff like hydraulics very few seals are under any real pressure and many are more of a splash seal. Most chambers are vented.
I'm sure a lot of new seals that fail are due to being run dry at start-up. I have known of several guys that put them in dry. Seems like asking for trouble to me. On something like a typical front seal in a timing cover an engine at first start can turn over a number of times before oil starts splashing around there especially if it has all new bearings. Reversing Martha Stewart, "Dry steel spinning against dry rubber is not a good thing"...   :-)

farmer

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at hotmail.com