[AT] Tractor hauler question.

Francis Robinson robinson46176 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 23 19:45:05 PDT 2008

     My old 1983 Ford F150 farm pickup (carbed 302 with auto/overdrive) that seldom is driven more than a few miles at a time except when pulling the gypsy wagon (usually hauling my CUB) uses a fair amount of fuel. Of course even empty the gypsy wagon is a little like pulling a parachute. The thing I noticed today was that it had a substantial amount of pressure in the fuel tank when I stopped for gas today coming home from Portland. I know that some of the later vehicles do that but I thought that it was too old for that. I don't recall my other 1983 (300-6) F150 ever doing that. I rarely stop for gas on trips with it except at starting out for the day so I never had occasion to notice it before. I was wondering if all of that pressure was maybe pushing too much fuel past the float valve? It seemed a lot higher than I had seen on other tanks with pressure build-up. Is a high pressure normal on that age and configuration or do I need a cap that is vented both directions? I'm not used to this new fangled stuff...   ;-)

farmer

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at hotmail.com