[AT] what's out there

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Thu Aug 21 16:08:57 PDT 2008

We inherited the habit of a Sunday drive from my parents.
We frequently do this, in the NE Ohio - NW PA area.
NE Ohio + NW PA are prime areas for finding smaller tractors.

We usually see several worthwhile looking tractors for sale
on front lawns, no matter which roads we take.
...plus lots of decent looking pickups

Prices tend to start high, but after they've been sitting
out there for a while, things get more reasonable.

Most recently we looked at 3 or 4 solid looking 9N's,
(at different locations) a couple 8N's, a somewhat restored NAA
(that one it was too late at night to stop, we may check back),
a couple Cubs and Lowboys, a reasonable size MinnieMo,
an interesting looking smaller Case (VAC?), etc.
Looked at a couple real nice Farmall H's last fall.
Any of those I wouldn't mind having.

There are always quite a few tractors for sale at
tractor / engine / steam shows.

Most tractor dealers have some antique tractors as trade-ins,
although they are frequently high for what you get.

I've never bought any tractors at auctions, almost everything was
a front yard find, or hearsay from a friend of a friend's brother.

A big advantage of front yard tractors is that you aren't rushed
like an auction, you can look at it over a period of time,
usually drive it around a bit, and haggle on the price.

If I had the money, I could have bought about 2 dozen nice
or easily restorable tractors off front lawns + tractor shows
so far this year, including several interesting show-ready ones.

Dave Merchant