[AT] Engine swaps

Francis Robinson robinson46176 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 05:28:17 PDT 2008

     I read about an implant of a GM V-6 truck engine into a John Deere R. The front part of the damaged engine was removed and a block off plate attached to the front of the crankcase to retain the oil. The V-6 was mounted crosswise and drove the tractor through the original now empty crankshaft from a multiple Vee belt drive from the engine to the Deere flywheel. The regular hand clutch was used unchanged. As I recall there was mention of the ability to spin the back tires on start-up. It was probably pretty fast as well due to the higher RPMs but a speed reduction in the belt drive might have lowered potential top speeds and increased torque.
     Such a conversion makes me wonder about the possible use of a SP combine's Variable speed drive system. Now that could be useful.

farmer

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at hotmail.com