[AT] Grease

Bill "Bear" Hood mmman at netscape.com
Tue Aug 19 14:15:25 PDT 2008

In '68 I bought a new 15' batwing mower (I wish I could remember the brand, but I can't remember what I had for lunch) and it called for 240 wt gear lube in the 3 gearboxes.  I had to get my Conoco consignee to special order it and then we only could get it in gallon cans.  I used it in a couple of gearboxes on brush hogs that were leaking on the bottom seals.  I also used it in a combine as quick fix and in a JD/Hancock elevating scraper built on the Industrial version of the 820.  I think I still have 3/4 of a gallon in the "stuff" in the barn.  My son  who is now 39, once took him a swig of the foul smelling stuff (sulphur base) and spit it out--he wa about 3 or 4.

That batwing was destroyed in a lightning caused fire in a 40 X 100' hay barn--along with a 4020.  The JD was insured, but the mower was not.

Bear