[AT] Semi-OT - Looking at Hemi hauler - bought it

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Mon Aug 18 00:18:12 PDT 2008

We bought it 2+ weeks ago, wanted to put some miles on it
before reporting results.

Took it to our mechanic friend, very thorough inspection, I was there.
Very clean underneath, I suspect it spent the salt months
in the garage. It is clearly a special order truck, looking at it
I keep suspecting horsey folks, but may have been a boater.
Very luxo, 6 way leather seats, high end sound, etc,,
and for some reason, blue neon inside the cab???
Silver metallic, looks like the job boss's work truck.
My tall son is comfortable in the back seat, and still has
an 8 foot bed. You just need to plan ahead if you want
to turn it around..

Mechanic came up with a list of items in the running gear,
but the engine + tranny are excellent. Rear end is a 4.10.
Overdrive, I guess that's sorta like having a 2 speed rear end.

Needs outers + lowers soon, U-joints fairly soon, brakes eventually,
flush the pumpkin. Manageable stuff.

Took the report back to the dealer, got it down another $600 past
the $1000 the dealer had already conceded. $8250 price, total out the
door with tax + transfer $9000 even.

5 years old, looks brand new, 1 very small scratch on the
rear fender and some marks where it had a cap..

The Hemi is brilliant, schizoid personality.
Hums along the hiway dead quiet, 16.5-17 on real gasoline,
2 mpg less on gasohol. But if you punch it, it's a screamer.
It doesn't notice hills, and the brakes are awesome.

Drove it thru SW PA mountains last weekend to + from
Brownsville, most fun I've had driving since my sports car days.
It feels like a moonshiner, and being high up, you can see
around the corners better.

Still worried about 2wd traction, but it does have limited slip,
brand new Michelins (dealer installed before I saw it),
antilock, so hope for the best.

My wife's not so sure about it, she finally realized that if I
decided to buy a tractor or engine, I can easily haul it home.

Dave Merchant