[AJD] Lawn mower

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Thu Aug 14 23:03:17 PDT 2008

I recently bought an orange ZT, not Kubota.  I love it, like others
have said it has cut my mowing time by at least a half.  I was mowing
with mid-90s JD LX178 with the 15 hp water cooled Kawasaki.  It is a
great machine, but the roughly 4 acres I mow each week required too
much time spent mowing.

I really like the ZT mower, it can mow at 10mph.  Let me tell you that
at that speed you want a smooth surface.  My ZT has two drive wheels
with hydrostatic pumps and motors on each wheel.  The front is
supported with free-swiveling semi-pneumatic tires.  The company
literature advises one to be very careful when mowing slopes and
definitely not to mow a 15 degree slope.  Since I have a pretty
steeply slopeing back yard I have to be very careful.  When I go down
hill even on dry grass it can be hard to stop.  There are no
independent brakes, just the wheel motors.  The tendency is to pull
back on the steering levers and that starts the wheels spinning in
reverse and away you go!  My normal pattern has been to start mowing
at the top of the yard ending at the bottom.  When I try to make a
turn for the next trip across the yard I slide 3 to 4 feet further
down the hill and it's hard to get back up.  I have found the if I
start mowing at the bottom and make my turns up hill it works much
better.

I really like the ZT.  If you have a steep slope to mow, have the
dealer demo the unit on your yard.

Gary