[AT] somewhat OT--skid steer vs tractor for mowing

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Aug 13 04:18:20 PDT 2008

When I sold tractors and skid steers at a New Holland dealership, the
guys with the contracts to maintain power lines always bought skid
steers for the reasons mentioned in this and other posts. Other
advantages are that the mower is out front where the operator can see
it, traction is excellent, they can handle terrain that would be
difficult for a tractor, they are relatively easy to haul, and there is
a full roll cage in case of a tip-over. The disadvantages are that they
are hot and very noisy inside (the nature of the operation requires an
enclosed cab with a reinforced front door), vision (except for straight
ahead) is poor, and the ride is pretty rough (even with suspension seats).

Mike