[AT] ATIS at Portland

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Fri Aug 8 08:53:03 PDT 2008

Guys I didn't mean to start a fight.  I was just making a joke.  I'm glad
that so many from this list and the rest of the antique tractor world can
gather at Portland.  Maybe some day my time, money and priorities will line
up correctly I will make it.  Farmer, Spencer is in the NW corner of the SE.
He's about 4 hours closer to Portland than I am and we are, as you know, in
the same state.  When I saw you at Arden I was 6 hours from my place.
Mapquest tells me you are 7 hrs 44 mins from Arden and you  are 4 states
away.  This vast, wonderful country is like that.  Did you know that
Tallahassee Florida is closer to Chicago than it is to Miami Fl?  But that
is beside the point that I think Kevin was trying to make.  His point is one
that I have been leaving alone for a long time but he is right so I'm going
to try and restate it for him.

There IS very much a division on this list between the inner circle and the
rest of us.  Those of you that the rest percieve to be in the inner circle
might not even be aware of it but it exists.  A lot of the non-tractor but
list related conversation on this lists centers on relationships built and
discussions started at Portland.  Those of us that have not or can not
attend the Portland show are very much aware of it.  It's a natural thing
and I'm not blaming anyone for it but it's there.  Sometimes the rest of us
feel like the stranger that walked up to the wood stove in the country
store.  It's not the strangers fault that the boys at the stove don't really
know him or completely trust him and it's not the regular gangs fault that
the stranger feels out of place.  Non the less the barrier exists.

To use the two folks already in the middle of this as examples:  Kevin and I
don't know each other except for what we percieve from reading the words on
this list.  I know that in my case the way you guys see me is limited
somewhat by my inadequate skills as a writter.  I'm sure Kevin feels the
same way.  However, you guys get together at Portland you discuss the list
and everyone on it.  I know that is true because Cecil Monson told me that I
was discussed there and we all know Cecil didn't lie about anything.  I've
met a few of the Portland gang.  I met Farmer and Herb in Arden last fall.
I think it's fair to say Herb and Farmer see me differently since they have
had a chance to see and talk to ME and not just my ability to put words on
paper.

The connections and understanding and friendships that you guys have built
at Portland spill over onto the list and it makes the rest of us sometimes
feel like the strager at the wood stove.  It's not just on this list.  The
same thing is true on other lists.  I know that Cecil hung out over on
AllisChalmers.com a lot but he didn't post much on there.
I guess maybe because he didn't know the folks or didn't feel that he had
anything to contribute but he is the one that turned me on to that site.
Well when he died I posted a message on that list and didn't even get a
reply.  It's not that they aren't good guys.  They just didn't know him and
they didn't know me either so they just ignored the message.  It's a natural
human thing.

The only thing that can change that is for all of us to go to Portland but
that should not be a requirement for inclusion on this list......should it?

Charlie