[AT] 2-cylinder clutch

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Aug 6 22:33:30 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen at earthlink.net>
To: "'Antique tractor email discussion group'"
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] 2-cylinder clutch

>> By the way, I understand my 1953(?) McCormick W-4 has no synchronizers
>> in any gear.  'Good thing I've been driving manual shift cars since
>> 1961 and had an occasional broken clutch cable.
>
> You do not shift a tractor like a car, you put it in what ever gear you
> want
> to be running in and start out.

I do drive the older tractors much like a truck with standard transmission.
Especially the 730 Case with the foot throttle. While it is possible to
start off in 8th gear at idle I prefer to start in maybe fifth or sixth and
shift up on the go using clutch pedal and foot throttle. Sometimes double
clutching helps, not always. Theres a little grinding if I don't get it just
right but not excessive. Works well especially pulling an implement or heavy
load of bales on the road.
Of course for field work where fourth or fifth gear (4 to 5 mph) is the
preferred speed, its like Don said. Just select the preferred gear, engage
clutch and go.

Ralph in Sask.