[AT] Bending a hook on a spring

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 6 08:56:37 PDT 2008

Speaking of a WD-45...  I started fixing my broken Joy Ride seat on mine
last night.  All I got done was exercising a wasp, taking the old one
apart and scrounging a spring.  The problem is 2 short but strong
extension springs.  They are about 5" long hook to hook, 2" dia and 1/4
or 5/16 rod size.  The hooks on the old springs broke.  I have a similar
size spring, but it's way long.  My idea is to cut it into sections of
the size I need, but then I need to put a hook on each end.  My Dad did
this on the first broken spring years ago, but his replacement was
weaker than the last original spring.  I just broke the last original
one.  I know he we thru several of his replacements because the hook
would break off where he heated it.

Any hints on how to put a hook on a spring?  Will heating it make it
brittle?  Could his have broken just because they were old, rusty and
probably pitted before he bent them?  If I heat the spring, should I try
insulate it so it cools slowly?

Thanks.