[Farmall] Update regarding my stuck clutch dilemma

Austin Hurst AustinHurst at comcast.net
Mon Aug 4 00:26:04 PDT 2008

Farmall guys,

    Back in April I presented you with my "stuck clutch" problem as I
finished restoring my 1948 Super AV.  I got lots of helpful suggestions
about getting it unstuck but nothing worked.  Wise Jim Becker said--"maybe
something else is wrong"---he was right.  I split the tractor (again) and
studied the set-up.  I had replaced the original Auburn clutch plate with a
Rockford one while re-using the Auburn pressure plate.  The Auburn clutch
plates are no longer available, but I was reassured by several respected
Farmall experts that the two were compatible.  I thought it a bit weird but
trusted their judgement.  Turns out they are NOT compatible--at least  the
combination I used.  It's possible an Auburn clutch plate would work with a
Rockford pressure plate, but it definitely does not work the other way.  It
was pretty obvious when I looked carefully at it because there wasn't enough
clearance for the clutch to disengage.

    So I guess the moral to this story is:  relying on expert opinions has
its limitations.  And to be safe, don't mix your clutch parts.

Austin Hurst
Lafayette, CA