[AT] older combine straw choppers

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Apr 14 23:42:50 PDT 2008

John, I've only ever had one combine with a straw chopper. The 550 Massey
must have been a little out of balance right from the start as I could never
keep a set of bearings in the chopper for long. It would vibrate at times
and there were cracks forming in the rear sheet metal. I solved that problem
(and several others) by trading the Massey in on a Case-IH axial flow with
no chopper to balance or vibrate. The rotor breaks up the straw pretty well
and there is no need for an extra straw chopper in my opinion. Others may
differ. :-)

Ralph in Sask.