[AT] Pawnee, memories

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 30 09:06:47 PDT 2008

To anyone going to Pawnee show.
Would appreciate someone (with a digital) taking several photos of the old
Case 12'? pull type combine; it was in the middle of the field couple years
ago when they hosted the Allis Chalmers G.O.O.   Our old Case was very
similar.   I felt like "king of the road" pulling that around with our 1938
CC Case, especially when making square corners.  Spin the steering wheel to
the stop, then ease off when tractor was parallel the the cutting platform,
maintain that condition until platform had turned ninety degrees, then spin
steering wheel in other direction, maintain briefly, then straightern up,
and done.  Was apprehensive at first, but Dad assured me that he had done
that for several years, and never got into the wood reel blades; once in a
while it was very close.
And an agressive turn in the other direction (with the 12' cutting platform
on the outside of the circle) could be a concern because the combine frame
might give enough to cause a misalign that would throw the 6" flat belt
from combine drive motor to concaves cylinder.
Some of the things we remember!
Why do I need photos?  Because I did not even think about taking photos of
that old combine then, and I had a camera with us.
Most old combines like that have been salvaged out years ago.
Barbara and I sure enjoyed the Pawnee show.
For newcomers, Pawnee has a large steam engine group; and they are very
active.
Herb

Is