[AT] older combine straw choppers

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 14 18:40:50 PDT 2008

I've got to replace the blades on my combines straw chopper. According to
the parts book there are different blades used on 2 of the 3 shafts, toward
the center. They merely have weight reduction holes. These blades are listed
in the parts book for balancing. I ran across a firm that specializes in
rebuilding and balancing choppers on an industrial balancer--they have been
at it for over 25 years. They recommend always balancing the chopper, but my
local dealer says they never do it. What's the normal practice in your neck
of the woods? I'm planning on marking everything and taking it apart and
reassembling everything in exact order. I'll check the new blades to make
sure they are all machined the same--if not I'll work off the pivot hole and
trim the length accordingly.

John Hall