[AT] Folks are still traveling

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Mon Apr 14 07:10:08 PDT 2008

I'm seeing the same sort of things, Farmer.  We just got back from a weekend in North Carolina and just have one day before heading out to Cleveland and Cincinnati for the rest of the week.  The highways are anything but empty.  BUT, the semi's are obviously running about 5 mph lower than they used to.  I guess the drivers are finding out that they get about 1 mpg increase in mileage by doing that.  I'll find out for sure when "tractor show season" gets into full swing and I start hauling across country.  I normally run just a little slower than the semi's to conserve on my own fuel use.
We'll see how it works.  My latest calculation for hauling with my rig is between 25 and 28 cents per mile for out-of-pocket costs.  That's triple what it was three years ago, but my hauling rig has changed dramatically since then.

Larry