[AT] Folks are still traveling

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Apr 14 05:16:04 PDT 2008

	I have been selling some surplus stuff on Ebay for the last few months
trying to get dug out from many many years of pack-ratting and saving. I
have had some stuff that I didn't want to ship because of bulk or weight
and I thought I might have trouble finding buyers because of fuel cost.
I just sold a 5' Ford rotary mower I had bought as a backup and never
used. A couple of brothers are coming from WI to pick it up today... I
sold it for more than I paid for it so I'm happy with that.
	I also recently sold an older console stereo and the buyer is coming
from GA to get that one.
	Last week I dug a set of 4 old solid planter boxes from a Deere 494A
corn planter out of a barn and listed them on Ebay with a $15 starting
bid. I figured that if they didn't get a bid that I would relist them
for $10 and if they didn't sell then I would put them on the pile I'm
accumulating for the scrap guy. I was happily surprised when they closed
for $76... The buyer is in IL.
	Diana and I have often made some rather lengthy pickup trips but we
often look at them as mini-vacations rather than dead expense. I guess
some other folks see it the same way.   :-)
	I must admit that current fuel cost have slowed our traveling way down.
We want to make a fairly long trip later this year but the little 200 or
300 mile weekend drives have slowed way down.
	Also slowed way down is running old tractors just for fun.  :-(
My Deere 4020 needs to be ran on some job to get it good and hot since
it has been sitting for almost two years with only rare start-ups to
keep it in shape. I really cringe at the thought of the fuel cost to run
it a few hours... $100 bill will not fill that tank.
	I will run  the Farmall Super M a little today loading that Ford mower
and moving some pallets of "stuff". I have not ran it for several
months. I keep moving stuff with my little Yanmar 1500 diesel because it
uses even less fuel than my Farmall CUB which uses very little fuel.
	I used to think nothing of running 10 gallons of fuel into the tank of
an old tractor and just puttering with it. No more... That is big bucks.
   :-)

--

"farmer"

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)