[AT] 1939 H

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Apr 8 10:49:31 PDT 2008

Dave Ernst wrote:
> Fired up for the first time yesterday. Awhile back I posted about the idea I
> wanted an H and within a couple of weeks ended up with 4 of them.  Thought
> about it for a while and decided to build one and sell it for seed money to
> build the one I wanted to keep.  The 1945 sold immediately so I started on
> the 39. First the head got new guides and valves, the cylinder was extremely
> bad but not cracked. Google found Sharp's JD Parts for me which proved to be
> extremely helpful.
> Cylinder went to town and the machinist was told his options were to bore
> 60, 90 or 125 over,because that was what Sharp's offered in whe way of
> pistons, or bore and sleeve back to original.  After he started .1250 was
> the answer.
> Cam was really junk, but I kept thinking about the advertisement in Two
> Cylinder magazine about the shop in Iowa that offered regrinding services. A
> phone call later and the cam and followers were off in the mail to Iowa.
> They offer a build up and grind back to standard, but I had this crazy
> notion so I quizzed him further and he agreed to do a "puller grind". What
> ever that means....
> A couple of months later and it's together. With those big pistons and funny
> cam it sounds as if it thumps. The idle is not exactly normal and the deep
> throated exhaust sounds more like a B. I just thought it would be fun to do
> something out of the norm in restoring an old tractor.
> Really don't have any plans to put it a contest, but it willl stay here and
> join the rest of the rolling inventory.
>  Dave

	The subject line on this one threw me for a minute Dave... For some of
us a 1939 H doesn't use John Deere parts...  ;-)   ;-)   ;-)
	I guess that cam would be a little like an RV cam? Is that H self
contained?  :-)  or maybe more like the old 3/4 race cams.
	Don't you love it when things go right?

--

"farmer"

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)