[Farmall] Trucking a tractor back from Nova Scotia

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at aol.com
Mon Apr 7 20:45:15 PDT 2008

On Apr 7, 2008, at 9:55 PM, Guy Fay wrote:

> What route's recommended?

Last year I drove from Grand Rapids Michigan to Nova Scotia and back.
The route I took was across Michigan to Port Huron, then across
Ontario to Buffalo, through the USA and up I-95 to northern Maine and
then across the Trans Canada Highway to Nova Scotia.

I took this route partly on advice of people who say that if you
attempt Port Huron/Sarnia to Nova Scotia within Canada, you can get
seriously traffic jammed trying to get around Toronto, although I
understand there's a Toll Road that relieves some of that difficulty
now.

This involved 3 border crossings in each direction - Port Huron/
Sarnia, then Niagara/Buffalo then Houlton in Maine. None of them were
particularly onerous - the wait times were in the 10-20 minutes except
in Maine where it is quite isolated and so not at all busy.

If you didn't want to deal with whatever the Customs Service might
throw at someone hauling an olde tractor at the border more than
necessary, you might consider just doing one crossing each way - where
to do it is the question though.

If you go south from Wisconsin through Chicago, you can stay in the
USA all the way to northern Maine if you want to do just the one
crossing there. or you could go North and cross at Sault Ste Marie I
guess - you'd miss Toronto that way.

Cheers

Roger