[AT] Fw: Gun Permits

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Mon Apr 7 13:18:44 PDT 2008

Here is Gerald's response to my statement.  He is buddies with a NC firearms dealer and often helps him work the shows.  Plus he's a collector himself.

You are right about the permits.  At one point they were issued by the clerk of court in some counties but I think most went to the sheriff's department years ago.  Supposedly the sheriff is suppose to do a background records check through the natl. criminal database (whatever that is now called).  I usually get 5 at a time when I go.  They cost $5 each here in my home county.  If I remember correctly, even with the pistol permit, you also have to fill out the Federal dealer transfer sheet.   The only way around having a pistol permit to buy a handgun in North Carolina is if you have your concealed carry permit.  If you do, then you can purchase a hand gun without a regular pistol permit...because the sheriff also issues the concealed carry here and does the same background check for it...after you take the state required class.  The anti-gunners talk about the "gun show loop hole" for buying pistols.  If you are a licensed FFL dealer, there is no such loop  hole.  You sell ONLY to people with a permit.  The "loop hole" of which they speak is what dealers like my friend call "pen hookers" that come to the show, stand outside the door (or inside the show in the aisles) and trade guns back and forth to anyone with cash.  This hurts dealer sales and gets the media fired up about the "loop hole".  It is my understanding that technically even individuals selling their own personal firearm should ask for a permit from the buyer and also get the proper Federal transfer sheet filled out to keep in their records.  I guess you know about how much this happens!  If I sell a handgun at a show, I do it at my friends table and since he is an FFL licensed dealer, I require the pistol permit also just so it cannot cause him a problem.  You never know when ATF is watching at gun shows.  When I worked the shows with him I use to be much more up on this.  Some things could be different now but this is pretty much how I remember it.

........ here is a seocnd message from Gerald

Never heard of a sheriff setting up at a gun show to issue permits.  I think all of them should be required to do it!  Fortunately here most everyone either knows or is kin to the sheriff or the clerk that actually does the permits so getting them is no big deal.   I think some counties may make you wait a day or so to get the permit while some just take your money, sign the permits and hand them to you.  I think the only real thing some check is to see that there is no outstanding domestic violence restraint orders against you and that you are not a convicted felon.
Aparently the sherriff at the show issuing permits is not universal in NC but I know that it happens in my county.
If you notice all of the things Gerald mentions are Federal Law.  If you don't have to do them in your state then my guess is you're state is ignoring the Fed. law.  I agree.  It's none of their business but we've allowed this to happen.  Now we have to live with it.

Charlie