[AT] Satellite Tracking was Warning and apology.

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Sat Apr 5 19:20:06 PDT 2008

Steve we have enhanced 911 in my county and I don't believe that will work
with any broadband UNLESS it's the DSL broadband that the phone company
provides.

You are right about calling 911with the cell phone but lots of us live in
areas that don't have seamless cell phone coverage.  The Spot device sends a
signal to a satelitte just like an EPIRB.  There was a story many years ago
when the EPIRBs first came on the market about a guy in road rally race in
Africa who went off the side of a hill into some heavy brush.  He was
severly injured and where he was located he would  probably never have been
found.  He had an EPIRB on the race truck.  It went off automatically.  I
don't remember the exact sequence but it was something like this.  A Russian
satelitte picked up the signal.  This was in the days of the cold war so the
Russians contacted Germany.  The Germans passed the message along through
several different countries until the guy was finally pinpointed by a and
pulled out by a rescue chopper.  The chopper knew precisely where he was
because of the locator beacon.

Charlie