[AT] Observation

Al Jones aljones at ncfreedom.net
Sun Sep 30 16:46:28 PDT 2007

I know this same phenomenon--experienced it yesterday.  I went to a
local tractor show about 8 miles away at Mike's Farm--a local
agri-tourism establishment. I really like to go there--the food is
excellent!! (www.mikesfarm.com)  Anyway, they had about 50 tractors show
up, and a LOT of military folks from Jacksonville and Camp Lejune come
out regularly to eat, let their kids pet the animals, etc.  I got a kick
out of this one young married couple. They were about my age, 30 or so,
and had a 4-5 year old and a 2-3 year old in tow: The whole family had
on their JD hats.  Now, I have all ideas that the closest they had come
to a JD tractor is their lawnmower they bought at Lowe's.  So anyway the
husband got to talking to this one fellow that had brought a 3020 diesel
tricycle powershift.  The owner talked to him about the tractor, then
started it up and showed him how the powershift worked, then even got a
block of wood to show him the roll-o-matic.  I mean he spent probably
close to 30 minutes talking to him about his tractor.  I think both guys
had a great time talking about that 3020.

Our IH club chapter had our board meeting at the show later in the
afternoon when things began to wind down.  Our VP owns an immaculate
Farmall H. While we were sitting in a circle under the pop-up tent going
over the business, another couple brought their 4-5 year old up to the
tractor.  The dad picked him up so that he was eye-level with the top of
the tire and mom took a picture.  Next thing I know, our VP had hopped
up from his seat and had gone up to the couple, introduced himself, and
invited the little boy to sit in the seat for a better picture, which
they did.  Priceless I say, priceless.

Al

*****
    I guess one reason I love this event is that most of the crowd is
not
farm savvy and is extremely hungry for information as opposed to the
usual
collection of old farts that want to play correct police or just want to

walk around knocking everything they see. Just a whole different
attitude...

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson