[AT] Voltage regulator

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Sep 30 12:00:52 PDT 2007

Cockshutts (40 and 50) were postive ground. My JD AR is positive ground , 12
volt. Co-incidentally I was actually working with the old AR this morning.
After being unceremoniously dragged out of the shed  during harvest rush a
few weeks ago, it had sat out in the weather until today when I got the time
to work on it. I decided to dispense with the two weak six volt batteries
with twice as many cable ends to corrode , and just went with a single 12
volt battery. I had to put on a different ground (positive) cable on as the
original was in the wrong place to reach a single battery.
Much to my surprise it turned over as good as ever and fired up in a few
seconds. Took it for a little spin out in the field and on the way back it
stumbled, hesitated , ran a bit further on choke and then quit. I'd checked
the gas before leaving and figured two inches should last me at least half a
mile. After walking the quarter mile home for a couple of gallons of gas I
finally discovered that the gas flow is restricted at the tank outlet. After
it sits for a few minutes, the carb. fills up enough to run a little ways ,
then starves again. Guess its time for a tank clean out.
I'll try and get a picture of it from this morning posted later.

Ralph in Sask.