[AT] Question OT

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Sep 27 07:58:54 PDT 2007

Lots of luck, Richard.  I haven't been able to find parts for that vintage
of Echo for years.  They did strange things like redesign the whole ignition
system and none of the parts carried through to the later design.

Someone mentioned a PB200 yesterday.  I have one of those and found limited
availability on parts about five years ago.  Some were available, but for
other parts I had to make the old ones do or else build some things from
scratch.  One of the things I ended up having to rebuild without new parts
was the recoil starter.

The experience I've had with a number of pieces of this type of equipment
has made me change my whole philosophy.  I used to "go for quality" with the
idea of keeping the equipment around forever, but now I buy the cheapest
thing I can find with the idea of replacing it in a few years.  The man who
helped me change my mind is a professional ceramic tile setter.  He uses
angle grinders as cutoff saws for contouring edges around construction
obstructions, etc, and I noticed that he had several of the El Cheapo models
that he used.  I asked about how long they lasted?  He kind of laughed and
said he used to buy the expensive models from Makita, etc, but found that
regardless of how much he spent on them they only last about three months
because of internal damage to the motor caused by the ceramic dust.  He now
buys the cheapest models he can find because they last the same length of
time.

I know that "buying cheap" is counter to what we're trying to do in
restoring tractors, but for some things I've started doing that with the
idea of NOT trying to keep the equipment running beyond the product life
anticipated by the company.  Customers bring me old equipment for repair all
the time.  I'm now to the point of telling the owners, "Can I repair it?
Probably.  Do you want to pay for the repair, have more invested than what a
new product would cost, and still have an old piece of equipment?  Probably
not."

There are always exceptions, though.  When I was working for a Case/IH
dealership, I rebuilt a vintage Cub Cadet for a customer.  He transported it
in a trailer without tying it down and when he turned a corner he flipped it
sideways right over the side rail and into a ditch.  The bill for rebuilding
it was around $5000, but the owner "had to have it" because it had been his
father's.

Larry