[AT] Plowing in Ohio/Long

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Fri Sep 14 12:23:18 PDT 2007

Farmer, the Ferguson System tractors were all around when I came along and
while we never owned one I was familiar with them.  The difference was that
the snap coupler stuff was designed to create a weight transfer to the rear
wheels of the tractor while the Ferguson system was intended simply as a
"draft control" to control depth with no other intention, although there
obviously had to be some weight transfer.

 I agree with you that the Fergie system stuff worked well.   My uncles TO
30 would plow rings around our AC D-10.  In fact they weren't even in the
same league.  I didn't have a WD, WD 45 or D-14 then but I'm pretty sure it
would have held it's own with the Fergies, Fords and IH stuff of the early
50's.  I had no intent to say the AC stuff was superior it was just
different and amazing in it's own way for the time when it was made.

Weight and brute strength don't make for a good farm tractor.  I'm reminded
of what a guy I went to high school said about Long tractors.  This was in
the late 70's maybe early 80's.  His nearly new JD had gone in for some
warranty repairs.  As you well know  by that time JD stuff had gotten away
from brute strength and into well designed.  The dealer loaned him a Long
9500.  One of the local guys asked him how he like the Long.  He said he
didn't.  The other guy, who owned a smaller long, replied defensively with
"WHY NOT"....It's got plenty of power doesn't it?  My friend said.. "an
elephant's got plenty of power but you can't farm with him".

Charlie