[AT] Plowing in Ohio/Long

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Sep 14 11:44:41 PDT 2007

    Apparently you Allis guys  :-)   never  grew up using the original
"Ferguson system"...   It too was far from perfect but was in my mind far
superior to the Allis system (I have owned both). The true Ferguson system
with the top link never did wheelies with the plow in the ground. The only
wheelies were when lifting the plow out of very tough ground and that was
quite rare. With the true "Ferguson System" 3 point with a top link the
draft control tended to lift the front of the plow first in tough spots and
and steered it up out of the ground rather than to try to yank it up back
end first. A lot of folks that never used the early Fords and Ferguson's (or
never learned how to use one correctly) liked to bad mouth them and they
were a light tractor but with a good properly sat up 2 x14" mounted plow I
could about plow rings around many of our neighbor's heavier tractors. The
lighter weight was only a reletively minor problem using pull type tillage
implements. The tractor and hydraulic system were designed to work together
using almost all 3 point implements including disk other harrows in addition
to the plow.
    I was a little disappointed in my WD plowing with a snap hitch plow. I
love Allis tractors but that thing could have used a couple of more
adjustments and a front end weight to hold it down. I kind of liked the snap
coupler hitch but always liked the IHC fast hitch a lot better.
    These observations are based on daily working tractors and don't really
matter that much when collecting and playing...   ;-)   I just love them all
for that.
    BTW, my Allis WC is missing a few little parts (only Scott Pike can
appreciate that one).
    I also really miss my old 8N...
    I did love plowing with the IHC 300-U with a 3 x 14" fast hitch plow.

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA