[AT] Plowing in Ohio/Long

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Wed Sep 12 20:46:08 PDT 2007

    John;

    I have seen more moldboard plowing this year than I have seen for
several years. Seems there are more weed problems now in the wheat stubble.
Weather and time has been good for plowing them under. No-till and min-till
really needs to be turned under about every 7 years for weed and nutrient
control. The dry weather in June and July here has really exaggerated the
difference between the tilled ground and the no-tilled with the tilled being
noticably better. Wheat planted in tilled ground last fall survived the late
spring freeze much better than the no-tilled wheat.
    I just rotate yearly between soybeans and wheat and have reasonably
level ground and not a lot of trash to cover.

                    Gene