[AT] OT: McCulloch Chainsaw

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Sep 11 07:46:30 PDT 2007

Amen, Farmer, AMEN!  I now have a shop built on the site where you parked
your trailer and the WUV when we first met years ago.  I CAN repair almost
anything I need to, but even though I'm "retired" I have to figure that my
time is worth something.  The commercial repair shops in town are now
charging $65 an hour for their time.  I don't charge my customers anywhere
close to that, but they still want to bring things to me for repair that it
makes no sense to put the time into.  If a customer wants something fixed
for sentimental reasons, I'll do it, but I'm to the point that I'll replace
a carburetor before I'll take the time to clean the gunk out of it.  Even on
the expensive trimmers and chain saws, a brand new carburetor only costs
about the same as an hour's labor and takes less than 10 minutes to install.
When it comes to failed ignition, the parts often cost more than the value
of a brand new product.  I recommend to customers that they simply buy a new
one.

That philosophy can come back to bite you sometimes.  I thought I had a
reconditioned Power King with a 60-inch deck sold to a customer last month,
but the elderly gentleman wanted to "talk to his kids" first.  A couple of
days later, he called and informed me that his boys had pooled their
resources and bought him a brand new ZTR.  They spent better than three
times as much as I was asking for the Power King, but the "boys" were happy.

Which reminds me, I've got to look up the availability of parts for a
Troy-Bilt sickle bar mower for Cecil.  When you have a unit that is as
unique as that one is, it's worthwhile to look for the OEM parts so it
continues to work like it's supposed to.

Larry