[AT] Gypsy Wagon project pictures

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Sep 5 22:16:27 PDT 2007

I have not used this photo site for a long time so I hope I got the link
right. We whipped this out in about 3 hot days mostly under a soft 2 car
carport outside of the wood-shop door.
    Some of you saw this rig at Portland.
    I came up with this notion so that we can haul my little Farmall CUB
farm tractor or other small tractors to a few tractor shows and also use it
for camping in after we get there. In these first 3 pictures it is sitting
chained down inside of the trailer. The trailer under the gypsy wagon is one
that I have used for several years to haul the CUB to shows. The "box" is
59" wide at the floor and 10' long. At the offset it goes to about 7' 8"
wide. It is a long ways from fully complete but we did use it to haul to the
Portland IN tractor show and did sleep in it for 3 nights. The 4th picture
will give you an idea of the amount of interior space. I am claustrophobic
but it does not make me uncomfortable at all sleeping or sitting in it.
    It still needs a 24"x24" window with screen installed in each side and a
large window in the front that will have a solid cover that will open up
like a concession stand to reveal a sizable screened opening. That opening
will have a screen that opens so I can reach in from the front to chain that
end of the tractor down. The door for it will be much larger than the
opening to keep blowing rain out while allowing good ventilation. The two
top panels in the rear doors lift out to provide screened openings there
which can be open in even a fairly driving rain sheltered by the roof
overhang. On this trip I used a set of steel loading ramps I have but it
will later get a 60" x 6' full ramp that will hinge under the doors and
after the tractor is unloaded it will raise up and become a small porch
where two lawn chairs can sit up out of the mud we sometimes encounter at
show grounds. When not in use it will fold up against the rear of the
trailer much like
a large pickup tailgate. AT this time it is not finished out inside but will
be. For this trip we borrowed the bed sections from our old 24' travel
trailer and the concept worked well. We finally found a pair of small K-1
lanterns we knew we had "someplace" which will hang on the roof support
brackets at the rear. Everybody has their own notion at how it should be
"decorated"...   ;-)   Diana mentioned hanging pots and pans all over it.
:-)    I believe the words "snake oil" came up at one time.
    The thing I love about a project like this is how it fires the
imagination thinking about the possibilities...  We have a full stable of
camping equipment so we can be pretty comfortable in such a rig. Of course
we can camp in it without hauling the tractor.
    I may go a little farther with this one then sell it and build another
being a little more fussy about keeping weight down. I was really surprised
at how many compliments we got on it at the show. Of course a couple of my
teen grandchildren think it is really ugly and embarrassing... It was worth
it just for that...   ;-)

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=3009440&a=32581728&f=

--
"farmer"