[AJD] Found some old pictures today...

Troy Bogdan tbogdan1 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 5 01:29:30 PDT 2007

Yes, I have to also say thanks for the photos . . . they were great!

Speaking of photos, here is a family/tractor photo we took on labor day . .
.

http://www.localharvest.org/images/member/image_5225.jpg

It shows the new 1950 A that I recently purchased at the fair, as well as
our old work horse, the 1953 70 and our "lawn mower", the 1941 Farmall.

And speaking of farms, I wanted to pass along the following information
about our upcoming barn raising . . . consider yourself invited if you are
in the area, we could use a few more folks to help in the work and enjoy the
community celebration . . .

Thanks,  Farmer Troy

Press Release:
Contact Farmer Troy Bogdan - tbogdan1 at earthlink.net
(More contact info listed at bottom of e-mail)

Dear Friends of Pure Earth Organic Farm,

The time has arrived (finally) . . .  to raise the barn!

Extensive work began on Friday August 31st, to ready everything for the
upcoming, big bash, community barn raising.  Friday was the first time since
last year, when we first broke ground, that all contractors (The team
includes Amish, Mennonite and English artisans) came together to do
coordinated work on site in unison . . . Builder, Mason, Excavator and
Farmer, all working to create one of the most unique and functional
buildings that Crawford County has seen in a long time.

The 30x40 timber frame, post & beam (mainly recycled), structure has been
designed and is being built to house crop storage, packing facilities, an
on-farm retail market, farm office, and potentially, lofts for agrotourism
farm stays.  It will also be the site for community functions, educational
workshops, and other events.  The design will also accomodate future plans
of installing solar technology onto the roofing panels and possibly a
windmill to generate some of the electrical needs of the farm business.

This barn is located in the same exact position that the original 1860
homestead barn was located (destroyed by a tornado in the 1950's), and we've
incorporated the original, 18 foot hand dug barn well, and two of the old
bank retaining walls into the new structure.

The tentative dates will be for the weekend of September 14, 15 & 16.  Sorry
for the late notice, but please plan accordingly and I hope that you can
attend.  If those dates are not good for you, we will be doing final
finishing touches in the weeks following the raising, so volunteer help is
most welcome, just let me know, and we can schedule you on a different day
more fitting to your schedule (These dates are weather permitting, and could
change - please call or e-mail (Best way to reach me) for the current
status).

We are in serious need of climbers (people who are not afraid of heights and
will nail down roofing panels and install standing seam metal roofing),
gophers (go for this and go for that) and most importantly food creation
teams and food donations to feed a hungry crew.  Please let me know if you
can attend, and what type of services you would be willing to provide.

Please forward this to all interested parties, including interested members
of the general community, other farmers, consumers, photographers,
historians, press, etc.

Lodging on site is limited but camping will be unlimited.  Please bring what
you think you will need to stay the weekend, tents, sleeping bags,
toiletries, snack and bottled water.  Bathroom space will also be very
limited, but we anticipate having a port-a-john, one composting toilet, one
outhouse near the guest cabin, and the house bathroom.  Dogs are welcome as
long as they get along with others (people and other dogs), and stay tied up
to avoid moving machinery, such as the crane.

Thanks very much,
Sincerely & Organically Yours,
Farmer Troy Bogdan & Family

Pure Earth Organic Farm, LLC