[Steam-engine] Question please

CopperheadMarine at aol.com CopperheadMarine at aol.com
Tue Sep 4 04:53:19 PDT 2007

Well

I like to blow down about every hour or two during the day, just for a few
seconds, about half way between adding water intervals.

Also at the end of the day for a longer period but not so long as to loose
sight of water in the glass, after which I inject water until the boiler is
full  (if I am going to steam again the next day) as the water cools it will
loose  volume and the next morning you will have at least 1/2 to a full glass of
water  so you won't have to introduce fresh water rich in oxygen to your
conditioned  boiler. If water is over full just bow down to half a glass after 5 to
20 lbs  have developed. This keeps the fire tubes a little cooler until steam
has  developed in the boiler. The steam around the exposed tubes will actually
cool  them some and you will get a little super heat from the exposed tubes.
If I  remember your boiler is a submersion tube so it may not apply as much to
 you.

And finally when you are done for the weekend make sure there is no fire
left, shake out all the coals and clean out the ash pit. When the pressure is
below 40psi 20 is probably better. Blow the boiler down all the way until you
get only steam and no pressure is left. Pull out at lest one of the lowest hand
 holes take a rag wet it in water and don't ring it out. Place the rag half
in  the hand hole and half out hanging down and lay it flat around the mud leg
and  it will wick out the remaining water. At this tome pull out a top hand
hole or  open a valve that can vent out to the atmosphere, open all the valve if
you can.  In a short period of time your boiler will be completely dry.

I am not saying this is the only way, just the way I do it.

Charlie