[AT] Slow and steady goes the tractor parade

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Oct 29 14:27:48 PDT 2007

Of course it is presumptuous , Landen, but that's part of the fun. The
mayor of Knowlton is always trying to come up with wild ideas that will
bring some attention (and money) to the town. He used to dress up as a
beaver and stage some kind of "Beaver Day" parade with him riding in the
back of a Mustang convertible. Needless to say, the tractor parade
appears to be a LOT more successful. Frankly, it has gotten a LOT more
interest than the antique tractor display at the county farmer's fair,
which only attracts the same dozen or so old tractors every year.

As far as being a "big deal"; it is not really. But I think a lot of the
farmers and collector/restorers around here have been looking for some
way to enjoy their old machinery, and there just are not many nearby
tractor shows. The nearest is the Jugtown Mountain shows, which are nice
enough, but they aren't "local", and they are static. This way they get
to ride around and hear the sounds of various machines. The same
weekend, a group  of railroad "speeder" collectors did a 50 mile run on
a local freight railroad's tracks with the same kind of camaraderie and
fun.

Mike