[AT] Tap - tap - tap ... blow - blow...

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sat Oct 20 17:35:33 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----

>    Farmer;
>    Been at Portland for the fall swap meet. Spent all my money. Bought a
> lathe, truck tire, a small press and several other smaller items. Got
> stocked up on spray lubes, multi meter and other things I needed.
>
>                        Gene

    I wanted to make the fall swap meet this year but it was not to be... I
have some stuff I would like to sell rather than scrap out even though it
may well be worth more as scrap. If I do scrap it I will likely give it to a
local scout group if they are still doing a scrap drive as a fund-raiser.
Diana and I do plan to be at the Tri-State Christmas dinner again at Fort
Recovery OH.
    I have been busy getting a little dab of hay baled now that we have
finally had some rain. We are still about 10" short but stuff is growing
fairly fast now. I mowed, raked and baled with my S-MTA Farmall. The mower
for most of it was a John Deere #5. The rake is an old Co-op PTO rake that
uses 3 little wheels across the back. I suspect it dates back to at least
the 1950's. It is orange and black. Son Scott bought it at an auction of an
old farmer. It was bought new but the guy didn't like it at all. It is a
little different to use and requires care in making sharp right turns. One
little wheel (driver's side) is mounted solid and the other two caster. It
reaches way out on the passenger side but barely as far as the tractor on
the driver's side. The guy had barely used it and parked it in the tool shed
and left it sitting for years and years. When we got it all of the rake
teeth were still flat across the tips and were not rounded at all. They are
now beginning to wear round. Scott bought it for $5. It is different but not
that hard to adapt to. The baler is an IHC twine tie (I forget the number
right now).
    We piled 51 bales of orchard grass on one of the pick-ups and took them
to the auction at Knightstown IN on US-40 this morning just to see what it
would do. It was the first time I ever sold hay for more than $3 a bale. It
sold for $5.75 a bale. Prices ranged from about $1.40 (baled cornstalks) to
about $8 for some really pretty bright green alfalfa.
    I had some former pasture ground that I rolled up with my Vermeer round
baler. It is either a 504 or a 405, I forget which. It is supposed to be a
4'x5' bale but a little over 4' tall is about all I put in most of them.
Someone asked me about that hay today and I described it as "rolled up green
stuff".  :-)
    If the weather holds up warm I could maybe get another small cutting off
of the lots but I want to get them sprayed with 2-4-D yet this fall since
they no longer allow spraying it in the early spring and then foraging any
of it according to my spray guy's book. I also want to feed it and lime it a
bit.
    I see you bought a truck tire. I need to buy a pair of new front ones
for the old 1966 IHC Loadstar 1600. The ones on it are getting too weather
checked to keep running.
    What kind of lathe did you buy?

--
"farmer"