[AT] Shop tools and appeal for die!

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Sun Oct 14 18:20:28 PDT 2007

I had a most enjoyable visit from Richard Walker and Don Bowen of the list
on Friday. We talked and did tools, talked farm equipment and had lunch. I
also got a batch of used tools from Richard so I could make sure we have
tools for field repairs as needed. Are'nt used tools that are older American
made wonderfully useful! I assume that is the same situation in Europe with
the quality English, German, Swedish, etc. tools????
     I had hoped that my farmer repair to the threader die on my power pipe
threader had been successful, but it was not sigh. The problem was that both
the die inserts were getting dull and the pins that mount the inserts were
bent and worn. I turned the pins 90 degrees and the first two threads I did
were perfect. But then one of my hired men started using it and it gave out
on the third one for him.... While I think I am significantly easier on the
machine, it is clear that I need to break down and get the new parts.
     Does anyone on the list have a set of die inserts for a Collins 22A
Snap-O-Matic 1/2-3/4" die???? They appear to be available after market from
one source on Ebay, but the Rothenberger Collins USA price is about $150 for
the four tiny pieces of metal! Either the OEM or the aftermarket price takes
a big dent out of my pocketbook, so a spare new set would be great if priced
right. Please contact me back if you know of a set of the die inserts under
$35.... I'll check email tomorrow evening unlike usual lately.
           Grant Brians
           Hollister, CA
           Full time vegetable farmer, problem solver, Dad....