[AT] Corn Binding/Hay

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Oct 11 21:34:19 PDT 2007

It worked fine for hand-cut corn, John.  Where we lived, you had to use
stalks of corn that were still fastened to the ground as starters for a
shock.  If you didn't, you could come out to the field after a wind storm
and find half the shocks blown over.  I can't remember exactly how far apart
the shocks were placed, but it was not only simple but was imperative that
they be evenly spaced so the same amount of corn went into each one.  The
reason was fairly simple -- we used a corn shock winch to tighten the stalks
together before tying them with binder twine.  This was a simple device that
consisted of a round cut off fence post that was tapered to a point on one
end and had a rod about two feet long sticking through the other end so you
could turn it like a windlass.  A rope about 10 feet long was fastened to
the post near the point where the rod was located on it.  The rope had a
steel ring fastened to the other end of the rope.   When the shock was full,
you rammed the pointed end of the post through the shock at shoulder height,
wrapped the rope around the shock and slipped the ring over one end of the
rod.  As you turned the winch, the rope cinched the corn tight and a hank of
binder twine would hold all the corn in position so the winch could be
unwound and moved to the next shock.

The reason you needed the same amount of corn in each shock is because there
was not a convenient way to adjust the length of the rope.  If you had too
much corn, you couldn't turn the winch far enough to pull the corn tightly.
Too little corn and you ended up turning the winch "forever."   The easy way
to make sure each shock was the right size was to space them as evenly as
possible across the field.  For some strange reason, shockin' corn was one
of my favorite jobs on the farm.  I used to go out in the field with just
the John Deere L loaded with the shock winch, a corn knife, and a roll of
binder twine and shock corn from the time I got home from school until chore
time on fall afternoons.

Larry