[AT] soldering radiator

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 09:18:37 PDT 2007

Kevin,

I've had good luck with a small propane torch and also a prestolite
torch for soldering radiators. I would think the O/A rig would be
awful hot for radiator work but don't have experience with it. The
little brazing torches that fit directly on the little propane bottles
are decent for this. (read: Home Depot/Lowes copper pipe repair kit
torches)

Solder? 60/40 is usually used for electronic work and will probably be
a bit soft for radiators 40/60 is what I use (not 60/40; the sequence
of the numbers is important. I believe it's tin/lead). I use the paste
flux like you get for sweating copper pipe. Where it really requires
cleaning I've tried muratic acid but this isn't for the meek and I
only do it when there is a LOT of corrosion that needs to be
cleaned... it usually means it's not going to work anyway. You're
better with a wire brush and elbow grease and paste flux, in my
experience. I agree with Chris and add that it's not a real good idea
to mix the acid core with solder flux paste.

I haven't used silver solder for this but don't see why it wouldn't
work if the surfaces were clean. It melts at a little higher temp
which might be  a problem if the rest of the radiator used tin/lead
and you melt that while heating up the area you're working on. This
may not be a problem with your project but it's something to keep in
mind.

Hope this helps.

Ken in AZ